1. The use of challenge exams is authorized by the university. The Music Department administers these exams with the understanding that the intent of the challenge exam is to gain credit for a course by passing the exam, otherwise known as "credit by examination". The challenge exam is not a means whereby a student may seek to have course requirements waived.
2. All challenge exams administered by the Cal Poly Pomona Music Department must be approved by majority vote of the Music Faculty. Any test that currently is used by the department must be reviewed to insure that it meets current requirements. No faculty member may unilaterally create and use a challenge exam.
3. In order for the challenge exam to be approved, it must demonstrate that the learning objectives of the course can be tested for using the tool being submitted.
4. Challenge exams are to be conducted in accordance with University Policy, posted in the University Manual, or as revised and published in an official Cal Poly Pomona source.
5. All challenge exams will be on file in the office of the Chair of the Department, with copies available in the office of the Department Secretary for distribution when needed.
6. Piano Proficiency Challenge Exam will be given for the entire 6 course sequence.
7. According to University policy, to challenge a course, all of the following conditions must apply:
Note: A course may be challenged only once. Credit acquired through challenged exam may not apply towards resident credit. No more than 36 quarter units may be challenged. Credit by examination is for subject matter in which the student is especially qualified only through non-traditional education or experience.