2009 Outstanding Academic Advisor Award
Call for Nominations!
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2009 Outstanding Advisor of CLASS. Nominations may be made by CLASS students, faculty and staff using the nomination form provided or by letter. An on-line submission form is available below.
The College’s Outstanding Advisor carries the mace at graduation, is recognized during the ceremony, and will receive a $500 honorarium.
Nominations should be submitted to the Dean’s Office by Friday, March 13, 2009. The College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences Advisory Committee will review and evaluate all nominations and submit its candidate to Academic Programs by March 20, 2009.
Outstanding Advisor Nomination Criteria
The Advisory Committee will evaluate nominations on the evidence of effective advising qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Demonstration of a caring attitude toward advisees
- Advisee evaluations (summary data encouraged)
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Availability to advisees
- Frequency of contact with advisees
- Seeking out advisees in informal settings
- Exhibits behavior designed to build a strong relationship with advisees
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- Use of appropriate information resources
- Appropriate referral activity
- Ability to engage in developmental advising (career and life planning) versus simply course scheduling
- Attendance at, and support of, advisor development program
- Perception by colleagues of nominee’s advising skills
- Evidence of student success rate
- Institutional recognition of nominee for outstanding advising